I know that It has been a while since I've posted. Work and life has just been so busy I've had very little time to do much of anything. But don't worry, my boyfriend isn't starving to death I promise you!
And what better way to apologize for my lack of posting than a sweet dessert that is the perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea. It's bursting with fresh blueberries and topped with my of my most favourite things in the whole wide world: crumble!
I had originally intended to make this for a family party but made the mistake of making it the day before in a house where two little siblings lived. The result? It was absolutely demolished within 2 hours.
Blueberry crumble cakes
75g (2/3 stick) butter
150g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
1 whole egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g (2 Cups) all-purpose Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
300g Fresh Blueberries
For the Crumble:
85g (3/4 stick) butter
100g (1/2 cup) Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
64g (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until well blended. Whisk in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Once mixed together, add this dry mixture to the first bowl and stir.
- Once it starts to mix together, gradually add in the milk stirring continuously. It will become a smooth cake batter consistency. Once fully incorporated, pour the cake batter into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the cake batter. I used approximately 300g of blueberries but you may require slightly more or less depending on the exact size and shape of your baking dish.
- Now for my favourite part, the crumble! In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Add the cinnamon, salt and flour and mix together. At this point you may have to rub the mixture between your fingers into a breadcrumb-like consistency. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the batter/blueberry combo making sure to create a variety of crumble sizes!
- Place in the middle rack of the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. This is best served warm with a nice dollop of clotted cream!