Chicken stir-fry is one of those easy go-to dishes that I like to make a LOT. It is incredibly easy to prepare, takes under half an hour (with practice!) and is also a great way to get your daily dose of veggies.
The below recipe can be varied and is a great ‘base recipe’ to start off with . Depending on the veggies you have at hand, you can omit or add any combination of vegetable depending on personal tastes!
Chicken Stir Fry (approx 4 servings)
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- A pinch of salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into small pieces (I find that thighs have more flavour)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 small heads of broccoli
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini for Americans)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil (I prefer coconut oil)
- Steamed white rice, for serving
Place the diced chicken in a medium bowl and mix in the oyster sauce and soy sauce so that the meat can marinate. Set aside for approximately 10-15 minutes at room temperature whilst you prepare the vegetables.
Prepare the vegetables as follows:
- Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and cut into small 1/2 inch slices.
- For the broccoli, cut the florets into 1/2 inch pieces and the stem into slightly smaller 1/4 inch slices.
- Cut the ends off the courgette and quarter it lengthwise. Slice it across the quarters to create 1/4 inch thick triangular slices.
- For the carrots, it is very important that your slices are not too thick or it will not have time to cook through when you stir fry them. Aim to keep your slices no more than a 1/4 inch thick. Cut into discs or smaller quarters.
When the chicken has marinated for around 15 minutes, heat a medium sized wok or large frying pan over high heat and add the chicken with the marinade to the pan. Distribute the chicken evenly. You don't need oil at this point because the marinade is a sufficient amount of liquid. Stir fry the chicken until cooked through (usually 5-6 minutes), stirring frequently to prevent the chicken sticking to the pan. Once cooked through, set aside.
Whilst the chicken is cooking, I usually prepare the veggies simultaneously. Heat up the olive oil (or coconut oil) in a large skillet or wok. Using a spatula, add the carrots, bell peppers, garlic, onion and broccoli and sauté the vegetables for about 4 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the sliced courgette last and stir fry for an additional 3 minutes or until soft. Keep an eye on the carrots in particular as these take the longest to cook through.
Add the cooked chicken with marinade to the vegetables and mix well. Add a pinch of salt, to taste. Cook a further 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly and has fully covered the vegetables. Serve immediately with steamed rice.