Did I really just write ‘Healthy’ cookies? Yep. I think I did! These cookies are packed with protein, vegan, gluten-free (depending on the protein powder of course) and quite frankly, probably the healthiest a cookie is going to get aside from eating no cookie at all that is.
Before I was introduced to these particular cookies, I was making cookies practically every week for quite a few months (at the request of my siblings of course) and not the healthy cookies named after this post, but the type of full-fat gooey chocolate chip cookies that silenced you as you enjoyed them. In fact, I was making that type of cookie so often that my boyfriend felt that an intervention was needed because their deliciousness was starting to have an impact on his waistline!
Being ever the champ, Brian decided to search for healthier alternatives to getting a sugar fix and we adapted the below from a recipe we found on Reddit. They take only 15 minutes to prepare (another 15 mins to bake) and they are delicious! Sometimes we like to stuff them in our faces for breakfast.
Healthy Banana Protein Oat Cookies (approximately 8 cookies)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup (90g) of oatmeal/porridge oats
- 1 scoop of 100% Whey protein powder (We use gluten free chocolate flavour protein) **
- 1/2 cup (70g) of raisins (or walnuts, whichever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup (23g) shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a large bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork and add in the oats, coconut, protein and vanilla. Mix well and then add the raisins (or walnuts) last. The mixture should be sticky!
- Scoop the dough into cookie shapes and place on a lightly greased baking tray or grease-proof cookie sheet. Please note that the cookies generally keep their shape once baked and don't really expand so make them the size/shape you would want to eat!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the fridge for later.
**Protein powder usually comes with a scoop in the container but if you don’t have one it is approx. 30g in weight.